Since 1854 our exploitation is in the family,
Owned by Patrick Carteyron since 1982.
Surface area of the vineyard : 40 Hectares
This wine represents half the production of Château Penin red wines.
It is made from vines older than 8 years.
Grape varieties : Merlot 90 %, Cabernet Franc 10%.
Gravel soil. Depending on the plot, the proportions of pebbles and sands are variable.
The vineyard is cultivated traditionally on the basis of a population of 5000 plants per hectare. The plans of trellising are high to obtain a leaf area illuminated at maximum
Leaf removal in the fruiting zone early July, to optimize sun exposure of the bunches.
The yield regulation: Thinning shoots in spring to avoid accumulations of grapes and of the vegetation, crop thinning early August for a more homogenous maturity.
- Harvested at optimum ripeness.
- Selection of plots according to the age of the vines, grape varieties, maturity.
- Total de-stemming
- Fermentation in steel vats with temperature control.
- Fermentation of 15 to 25 days, following the tasting.
- At the end of vinification, each vat is carefully tasted, to select wines that can make this wine. The wines judged insufficient, will not be bottled and will be sold in bag in box.
- Aging is 6 months in barrel and 6 months in vats.
- The stock of barrels: 20% new barrels, 50% French oak, 50% American oak
- The wines are tasted and rated regularly every month to note their evolution and define the final assembly.
Production : 80 000 bottles
A nose with a mix of vanilla and toasty notes, associated with fruity notes reminiscent of the great ripeness of the grapes. The palate is harmonious, elegant and structured